Sunday, May 9, 2010

Love conditionally

This morning when I went to the store I saw a chocolate I haven’t had since I was a kid – having memories of how good it tasted, I couldn’t resist buying it. Taking the first bite, I expected it to be sweet, to take me back to my childhood when I enjoyed it so – But the reality left much to be desired. Instead I was left with the taste of an artificial reproduction of a once wonderful thing – you see, like so many things over the last few years, the candy industry too has sold out. With inflation and competitive markets being what they are these days – everyone wants to be in the better position and make a profit, replacing ingredients and labour with cheaper, more cost effective alternatives. This ultimately results in a product that is neither desirable, nor enjoyable and at the end of the day, utterly worthless.

The same can be seen in the gay world of today – what was once a wondrous expression of love between two human beings has transgressed into little more than a consumer product – causing our wants to far outweigh our needs. Today it is harder to be a gay man in society than ever before. If you had to compare it to a time when being openly gay was not acceptable – where two people whom found one another would be so grateful for each day that they could spend together, because they knew what they had wasn’t the norm, it was something spectacularly special and had to be cherished. But things have changed – a huge amount of profit is being made off the gay community, being clubs, online dating and spas that cater specifically to our “needs”. Finding a date for Friday night requires little more than a few clicks of the mouse and perhaps a well edited profile.

We simply do not appreciate the people in our lives anymore, looking at what we could have rather than what we have now. I will be the first to come forward and admit that I am one of those people – I remember being in a previous relationship with a man who clearly adored me, who wanted nothing more than my happiness. But it turned out I was no different to any of the other consumers, looking at the other products on display. You see, I though I could do better, I thought that I deserved more – and one day I left, thinking that with my looks, my smarts and my personality I could have any other man I wanted. But I failed to take into account today’s failing economy – where men are in fact made up of inferior quality ingredients and below par labour, no matter how attractive the packaging looks.

We all tell our partners that we love them, that we care for them and we will always protect them, but these are all lies. Because when the relationship ends and even before, we are cushioned by the idea that there will be twenty other men lined up and ready to take the last one’s place. I don’t even remember the last time I spoke to my ex, the man I said I loved, that I cared for and that I would protect. Being single for almost two years now has given me plenty of time to think about these things – assuring myself that I would do things right the next time around, that I would never again take a man for granted. And although this honest approach has left me with so much heartache the last few months I can only hope that I will one day find a man with the same honesty in his heart.

At the end of the day we are all heartless – we leave the ones we once loved behind in search for the possibility of something more, we say that we still care and that we are still there, but we don’t and we are not – we are liars. I do sometimes wonder if life wouldn’t perhaps have been easier if being gay was still unacceptable, still frowned upon – Because then, when you found someone you really cared for, when you told them you loved them and when you promised to protect them – You might actually have meant it.

6 comments:

  1. whew - thought you had killed yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now why would you think a thing like that? I'm trying to put my life back together - but it's a slow process. I really do believe that everything will work out in the end.

    Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are ok. Your last post was tagged as suicide sonaturally I was concerned. In London at the moment getting very drunk . I pray you are right about things working out. Hey my email is kr14775@gmail.com if you want to chat. Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all is well with you friend. Glad to hear things are going better with you. Wish you lots of laughter this week!!
    *Hugz*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well not all genuine people are lost! I like to think myself genuine. Unlike, what you say, I do not find gay people around the corner where I live, it appears I still live in an anti-gay bubble where finding open gay guys takes a long difficult search... but I also no longer feel it is about finding someone that fits this or that... it seems that whenever I get that notion in my head I fall for somebody who looks and acts completely different. I've recently given up on trying to expect my heart to conform to anything and simply follow it wherever it leads... but even then I guess I'm pretty lost. I did fall hopelessly for someone... and by hopeless I mean literally. The person is not only gay but denies it completely, and with this level of insincerity running rampant, who could blame him? Even still... I feel he is alone and scared inside and he won't admit it... and even still I love him. I fear I may never have him... but I will continue to try, and wait, and hope.
    Call me stupid, call me stubborn, but please don't call me insincere.
    I hope that you someone genuine finds you, but I hope that you find the genuine you first. :)
    Best of wishes for your happiness.
    Maybe someday we'll both have our very own :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment Brandon. What you say is very true - Love cannot be defined as one thing or another, we love whom we love - plain and simple.

    But the first steps towards finding that love is to be able to love yourself first - Something that I sometimes find hard.

    Good luck with the man in your life - I hope it all works out in your favour!

    ReplyDelete