Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sad endings and new beginnings

For those of you who read my very first blog entry – I talked about how I met the man of my dreams and how I promised to wait for him, till he was in the right space to pursue a relationship with me. A few days ago I had a very real conversation with him – He told me how good he felt to finally be free after years of being married. Not knowing much about the gay world he would like to find out who he is, to explore what’s out there and to discover what it is he wants. After all – what would be the point to end one relationship just to jump into another. I couldn’t understand why he would give up on us, something that wasn’t broken and didn’t need fixing – he replied in response of my first post “the list”. Telling me that I have lived, I have found myself and I have learned enough from the gay world to write that list – How he would also like to be able to say he lived, that he explored what’s out there and finally write a list of his very own.

Even though it makes me very sad that I have to let go of someone that I cared for so deeply, I know deep down that he is doing the right thing – that he will emerge on the other side, even stronger and more amazing than he is now. I don’t know if our paths will cross in the future, all that I hope for is that his journey will be filled with amazing people, people who will show him the kindness and love that he deserves, that will see the gentleness in him and know never to take him for granted.

I’m tearing up as I’m writing this not only because I have lost out on love, but because I have to insert myself into the gay world once more – To make myself available and wade through a huge number of men who simply do not meet my needs and what I’m searching for in a relationship.

I know I always talk about how I could have any man I want and although that may be true – I do not want any man. It is always hard to meet men. Sure, there is clubbing, online dating and if you’re like me even a random hello to a stranger in the shopping centre (I wouldn’t attempt that last one if your gaydar isn’t spot on though.) With the marvels of modern technology, the dating world has become like a shopping brochure. You can go online and browse through thousands of single men – making choices on colour, size and even price range. I never have found any of this very appealing, the idea of dating someone that has their picture splashed all over a website somewhere for others to fawn over really does put me off. After all, you don’t want to date every man’s man – a relationship is sacred and should be treated as such. Then again there are those who approach online dating with dignity – opting for a coffee date rather than cyber sex, or only sending a face pic on request.

I know I’ve always done the best I could in my relationships – I know I’ve always been selfless, caring and kind, that I’ve always put the other persons needs before mine and always strived to make them happy. As such I can look back and say that I do not regret doing the things I did and having the experiences I had. It is true that the pain one feels after a relationship has ended is excruciating, but at the end of the day the time you were able to spend with the one you loved and all the happiness you shared – far outweighs the pain. All we can do is move forward, embrace the pain and never forget the times we were held, we were safe, we were loved…

- To me he will always be my big man -

11 comments:

  1. Quite a sad post. Really sorry to hear that things did not work out. I somewhat agree with his desire to go out and explore his new life. Sadly I know what the eventuality will be - he will grow tired of the endless parades of shallowness and the soul destroying party scene. Although he may also find what he is looking for. Who knows. His path is not yours. It may cross again - but you cant spend your time wishing waiting and hoping. All i can say is that I understand his needs, and appreciate his honesty with you, but at the same time I do feel sorry for this time in your life. It will no doubt be a very difficult time, but have faith - you will come out alive and fighting on the other end!!!

    As far as you emerging yourself back into that world too - yes it can be very tiresome - especially from someone like you who knows exactly what you want. Just dont think about it though. Just live your best life possible each day, as its a short wonderful exciting and temporary thing. I find it extremely challenging to adopt this stance daily - but I will be honest and say that shiny new things help! (And a new car or two!)

    But in all honesty - not everyone is your typical online dater posting the most crude and graphic photos and asking intimate details about your body before knowing your first name! I mean like seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! (Im a greys fan).....

    Strength. I find raw cookie dough helpful in these trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment - Yes, we all have to take our own paths in life and trust that we arrive at our location in one piece.

    Having to find someone else really does scare me, but I am taking it one day at a time. I always feel like such a bad man when I turn someone down, but I think turning someone down in respect to your long term desires is much better than temporary gratification.

    I choose to approach dating with dignity, irrelevant of where I meet the guy. At least that way I'm not left with any regrets on what I should or could have done differently. Everything works out as it should I suppose... I know who it is that I am and I do believe that someone will one day appreciate what I have to offer. So I close my eyes and get back on the horse.

    I haven't watched grey's in ages, but the cookie dough does sound very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I broke I broke up with my last boyfriend. One of the hardest things to face was the realization of being back in the dating game. Considering I hate picking guys up in a bar and hate trying to chat some one up online I realized it was going to be a daunting couple of months till I am back on my feet.
    My thoughts are with you. My mantra is " nothing lasts forever"
    Hugz
    me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear this. It will surprise you, but you'll be able to get back on your feet and move on. As you gain strength, you'll get your confidence back and return to being happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life isn't always a fairytale (not that there is any reason it shouldn't be.) That being said - I'm a big boy and I'm sure I'll find the happiness I know I deserve.

    Thank you so much for the kind words guys - They mean allot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it Alex. Find your fears and face them head on, it's the only way. If you are in any way afraid of being alone, or "need" to find someone to "complete" you, then you should take some time off to reflect and re-centre.

    Thanks for your comment on my Blog. Just hang in there.

    Oh, my favourite Yoda quote: “Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not think the problem lies so much with needing someone, but rather for what reason you need someone. Like you said, if you need someone to complete you - then you need to look at yourself and figure out for what part of yourself you want to compensate for by having another person fill that space.

    Other times it's simply a case of a very primal need - companionship...

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are anything like me, then its the loneliness which sometimes overwhelms. The worst part of it is that being a 'good looking frat' means nothing when your life is hidden. The encounters I have had have all been nothing more than that. Seems being 'hot' can be a hurdle for finding real substance out there.

    Holding out for some hope your end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree with you! Actually have an upcoming post on that matter, but yes, finding substance in the gay world is one of the hardest things I have had to come to terms with - The fact that I am a very good looking guy doesn't even seem to have any impact on the problem. You don't "move up" or find more decent guys the hotter you are (in fact I think the opposite happens.)

    That being said, I think it is better to find the man of your dreams and live your private life out of the spotlight of the gay scene - I think people change for the worst over a period of time when they realise they have to "keep up appearances"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. Thanks for replying to my last post. The irony is that I am not really attracted to the 'pretty' or hot dudes, although that's how they have described me. At the moment I find myself completely mesmerised by a buddy, who is average to good looking. Unlike many of the mutual friends we have, most of whom are cute, he oozes sex. He knows it too, the tosser.

    I would have him pay me some interest before any one of the hot frats around me.

    ReplyDelete